LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
Roma Victrix - Russell Whitfield Shocking!

Lysandra fights on.

The hot action of Gladiatrix continues as Lysandra of Sparta, having retired to transform her ludus into a temple, is invited by the Emperor Domitian to travel to Rome for the ultimate fight. Although a free and very rich woman, Achillia (Lysandra), eventually accepts the invitation, but realises that she must exercise every ounce of self-discipline to pull herself away from the wine glass to become the finely-tuned, unbeatable gladiatrix which she once had been. It is a long, and difficult journey.

Meantime, the Roman armies are fighting, and losing battles in in the northern extremities of their empire. Lysandra’s old foe, Sorina of Dacia, and her entirely female unit, are some of the most fearsome soldiers that the Romans encounter. To survive and be captured by these vicious warriors, is shown to be a fate worse than death. There is no mercy.

There is plenty of shocking violence, and a fair share of sex, but the storyline is gripping, and the characters are strong and very believable. The descriptions of the fighting are always detailed impossible to leave before their gory conclusions.

It is easy to form attachments to the characters, but unwise to do so, as you will suffer pangs of grief as your favourites lose their lives. Death is inevitable in both the field of battle and in the gladiatorial arena. They are games where coming second usually means the end of your life. I much prefer playing field hockey, where all I have to suffer is a week of disappointment before my next match.

Once again, Russell Whitfield has produced an historical fiction which is action-packed and smouldering hot.