LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
Gone - Mo Hayder Not too many people will argue with me when I say that Mo Hayder writes gripping thrillers. This, in my opinion, is her best so far, of the ones that I've read, anyway.

Before I go any further, please heed my warning that you really should read [b:Skin|6116751|Skin|Mo Hayder|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518-MX9Yf-L._SL75_.jpg|6294851] before you pick up [b:Gone|7348465|Gone|Mo Hayder|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21uOQdhyW4L._SL75_.jpg|9099802]. There are references in Gone, which will spoil your reading of Skin if you read them the wrong way round.

This story begins with a car-jacking. The perpetrator appears to have overlooked the child who was strapped in the back seat, which naturally causes additional distress for the victim and her family. It is not too long before the police investigating team, led by Jack Caffrey, work out that there is a sinister connection with previous car-jackings, all of which have also involved a child being taken with the car.

Once again, Flea Marley and her Underwater Search Unit (USU) are heavily involved. I can't help liking Flea, and I constantly fear for her safety, but she makes me feel so frustrated at times. I feel like yelling at the book, "How could be be so damned stupid, Flea!" She really is an idiot at times, but at the same time, she is key to helping Jack to get to the roots of the case, so she is essential.

As other reviewers have indicated, this is a riveting story, told in such a captivating way, that it will have you reading long into the night, when you should be resting to be ready for tomorrow's challenges.