LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
Break No Bones - Kathy Reichs Great story, but I struggled with the language

Once you get behind the strongly American version of English and the Reichs style of short-sentenced rhetoric, there is a good story lurking in this book.

Normally, I can understand those small differences between English English and American English, but there were just too many times, whilst reading this book, that I just had no idea what was meant!

The narrative is also littered with three-letter acronyms, some explained, some not; and unfamiliar words that don't appear in my version of the Oxford English Dictionary.

Eventually, I became lazy, giving up on trying to reference these words and approximating my understanding based on the context.

The story is based on the interesting similarities between the injuries sustained at the moments of death of a couple of corpses found in Southern California and is littered with descriptions of the incompetent and arrogant people that Dr Temperence Brennan encounters during her investigations.

I almost gave up half way through, but I am unable to leave anything in my life unfinished. I'm happy that I didn't submit to that temptation, as the ending makes it all worthwhile, and the language does mellow a little in the last few chapters.

I would have been happier if somebody had recommended that I await the English translation before embarking on this read, and that is exactly what I would recommend to any prospective British readers.

However, don't take my word for it. Walk into a bookshop, pick up a copy, open it anywhere and read two or three pages. If you can go with the language and style, buy it because you are sure to enjoy the story. Otherwise, replace it on the shelf in the hope that it will be re-published in your own native tongue someday soon.