LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
Deaf Sentence - David Lodge The story seems to have been built around personal anecdotes of the author combined with the antics of characters that he has conjured up in his imagination. There is nothing wrong with that, and I would say that this approach is fairly common amongst good story-tellers.

The book is very amusing. It relates some of the problems that the hard of hearing can encounter, and the consequential misunderstandings that can ensue, and the deliberate escapes that somebody who is known to be deaf can engineer for themselves and put down to their condition.

It is very predictable, but that didn't spoil it for me. There are a few diversions into the problems and history of the real world, but they are relevant to the story. Towards the end, I discovered some disconcerting parallels to events in my own life, but these didn't spoil it for me either.

I enjoyed this book from beginning to end. It is not challenging, beyond some of the fancy words and language that are used. It is just downright funny.