LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
Kingdom of the Golden Dragon  - Isabel Allende A good story, once it gets going

I have to admit that I really struggled with this book, and nearly gave up, several times, during the first hundred pages or so. I am glad that I persisted, because it is quite a good story.

What really irritated me, early on, were the stupidly ridiculous situations which were being put before me. For example, a teenage girl arrives at JFK with her pet monkey in a cardboard box; it escapes and causes havoc, but she is allowed to continue through to the transit lounge with her pet running free. She gets through Heathrow in much the same manner, to arrive at her final destination, New Delhi. As a friend of mine was almost arrested for having an apple in his baggage when he arrived at an American airport, I found this totally unbelievable.

I was perfectly happy with shape-shifting, communication between humans and animals by telepathy and alliances being formed with yetis, but the event described above and the idea of a teenager running away to a Himalayan mountain top, and surviving, were just too much for me. Perhaps I am odd!

Anyway, the book is worth reading for the story, particularly, I think, for teenagers and young adults.

In the first few chapters, I would have rated it with only one or two stars. Eventually, I liked it, and gave it three.