LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
The Other Hand - Chris Cleave A fairly good story, up to a point

The Other Hand is AKA Little Bee

If it weren’t for the glowing reference contained in the letter to the reader from the editor in the flyleaf of this book, I would have been moderately impressed. Instead, I was more than a little disappointed. I also feel very foolish to have been duped by such obvious marketing hype.

Moving on from the insult that I feel has been cast my way by Suzie Dooré, Senior Editor, the story is a good one, and realistically narrated by the two main characters: Little Bee, and immigrant to UK from Nigeria; and Sarah, a British magazine editor who had a previous connection with Little Bee. The way that the pair use the language is authentic. There is a mixture of tragedy and comedy, which works well.
However, half way through the book, the strong storyline begins to weaken, and just fizzles out towards the end. It goes from being very feasible fiction, to totally ridiculous. Without wishing to spoil it for anyone, the last two chapters just annoyed me by their improbability and a liberal smattering of vagueness.

Having said all of that, I’d still recommend The Other Hand (or Little Bee) to anyone who wants a taste of what could happen to immigrants to the UK, and a few laughs along the way.