LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
Luggage By Kroger - Gary Taylor Too much AND too little

I have mixed feelings about this book.

The introduction was intriguing as it related the murder of Doctor George Tedesco. The top suspect is Catherine Mehaffey, who claims to have been Tedesco’s common law (in British terms) wife after having lived with him for only a few months. The police fail to make a strong enough case against her to get a conviction: Catherine then goes to court to claim the estate. This all happens in the first few pages, so I am not giving anything away. It is obvious, during the introduction, that Gary is going to get his life intertwined with this mad and dangerous woman.

There then ensues around a hundred pages of background: the history of Gary’s life up to the point that he gets together with Catherine. This feels too much, but most of it is necessary, so bear with it.

I would have liked a bit more of Catherine’s background, to begin to understand how long she had been this crazy, and why. That would be fascinating.

Gary, himself, is hardly whiter than white, but the reader has to have some sympathy for the poor guy. However, he has himself to blame for many of his troubles, and not just those that he has with Catherine. You think he’d run a mile when he had a good idea of just how dangerous she is, but, every time he takes a serious knock, he keeps coming back for more punishment. Who is the crazy one, Gary?!

Anyway, without revealing any more, and thus ruining the read for anyone who is about to pick up this book, I would say that it is a great read, and so much more so because it is true. Well it is the truth from the viewpoint of one of the central characters. It is gripping, and I recommend it.

I would love for Gary to try to take up the almost impossible challenge of writing the same story from Catherine’s viewpoint. That could be very interesting indeed!