LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
The Warning Bell - Tom MacAulay A mountain of tragic deceptions

Set mostly in a small fishing village, St Cyriac, on the coast of Brittany, this is the tale of a man in search of the tragic WWII events that led to his life-long rejection by his father.

George Madoc was the skipper of an RAF rescue craft. Amongst her other duties, the sleek, fast, three-engined boat, known simply as 6548, was tasked with ferrying secret agents across the English Channel. George feels very uneasy about one of these agents, an assassin, code-named Lucien, but we don't find out why until much later.

Sixty years later, George's son, Iain, takes early retirement and looks forward to a new life with his wife, also leaving her work behind for a quiet life, and his daughter.

Sadly, Iain's mother dies very early in his retirement, but she bequeaths a small case containing some vital clues regarding the distance that George has maintained for all those years between himself and his puzzled son.

Iain has a compelling need to get to the bottom of the mystery, and sets off on an almost obsessive quest.

Despite all the barriers that the survivors of those times and their descendants place in Iain's way, the horrible truth is slowly revealed as one turns the pages.

The reader is swept along by the merciless currents of this story, and I could not put the book down for a moment as I read the last hundred-and-something pages. So, be warned! Allow yourself sufficient time to read the final chapters, or you may burn the supper or forget to pick up the kids from school, or somesuch!

An enthralling read.