LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
The Whale Road  - Robert Low Disappointing

The story is fairly good: the sort of plot that you would expect from the likes of Conn Iggulden. However, The Whale Road doesn’t come close to the class of Iggulden, or any other of my favourite historical fiction writers.

I really struggled my way through from beginning to end. There is plenty of action, and most of it is very gory, but the style is tedious. One feels that the author is the proud owner of a book of tenth century Norse names, and is trying to break the record for how many of them he can cram into 340 pages. He also seems to be continually trying to invent new ways for the vicious Vikings to slice up their enemies, and even some of their brothers.

The second book in the series is called The Wolf Sea. I may get around to reading it someday, but, for the moment I have had enough of Orm’s adventures. Although the storyline is good, I wouldn’t go so far as to recommend it to any of my friends.