LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
Dancing with Darkness: Life, Death and Hope in Afghanistan - Magsie Hamilton-Little, Magsi Hamilton Little The events and feelings which underpin the very personal story that Magsie Hamilton-Little tells in this book is interesting and poignant. However, I felt that it was disjointed and the way that it was written failed to stir the emotions which other books about recent Afghan history, both fiction and non-fiction, have roused in me.

One of the points which is made towards the end of the book is totally in line with the way that I have thought for most of my life: education is key to the resolution of every conflict in the world.

I am proud to say that my step-mother was the founding headmistress of the first integrated school in Northern Ireland. There are now more than fifty. Ensuring that children from every section of society will mix from their earliest moments of life teaches them that we all have more in common with others than we have differences. Those differences are very important, and learning about them from each other is a great way to educate. What a rich tapestry of beliefs we have in this world! We should celebrate those differences rather than set out to kill those who do not share our beliefs.

Back off my soap box and back to the book: there are some very sad and touching moments, especially towards the end of the book. There are also some very amusing events, and a few little twists. Whilst there is a lot of value in Magsie relating her own experiences, I just felt that a very experienced ghost writer could have made the whole story a lot more powerful.

This story doesn't take too much effort to read, so I would definitley recommend it to you if you are looking for a quick read which will tell you something about modern Afghanistan.