LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
A Facebook Affair - Tara Chevrestt From the off, I declare that I am a friend of the author, Tara Chevrestt, but that in no way affects my review.

I wavered between awarding three and four stars for this book, but the emotion of the closing chapters and the epilogue swung my rating in the positive direction.

Tara very obviously draws on her own life experiences in the writing of A Facebook Affair. When you read Deaf Isn't Dumb (expected publication date: 27th April 2012), you will understand what I mean.

There are plenty of lessons woven into the story which will help readers to understand how they can help hearing-impaired people to fully participate in conversations. There are also some powerful messages about the viciousness of prejudice and bullying amongst children. We have all had some experience of that!

Kelly is feeling the emptiness which follows the death of her mother after a long battle against cancer during which Kelly has neglected her social life to look after her Mom. Her best friend, Tammy, arm-twists her into signing up to Facebook with the clear objective of finding a boyfriend and getting laid.

It is not long before Kelly has found Brandon, a classmate from her second and third grade (8-9 years old) at school. She remembers Brandon as the only fellow pupil who was kind to her during those early days.

It is not my idea of what I would call a Facebook affair, as it is more like an online reunion followed by some online chat, which leads to a face-to-face meeting. A romance ensues, and that gets serious. There is no online affair.

There are some delicately, yet warmly, described sex scenes, but no profanity.

The story flips back and forth through time between childhood and adulthood. In many of the books tthat I have read, this irritates me, and it has to be very well written to work. It surprised me that Tara adopted this approach, as she has previously openly declared that time-flipping also irritates her, but it was absolutely necessary for the story to work. Kelly's childhood recollections serve to explain many of the adulthood events. Well done to the author for taking that bold step and for making it work so well.

There are quite a few American English words and expressions scattered throughout the book, which had me reaching for the dictionary. I add this as a small warning to non-American readers, but it could not be any other way. Both the author, and more importantly, the characters, are American. To set you on your way, if you are not from the US of A, bleachers means benches and bangs means a [hair] fringe.

This is a really great little novella romance, and I recommend that you take some time out to read it.