LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
Warrior: The Amazing Story of a Real War Horse - Jack Seely This is the true story of a real war horse, as told by his owner, General Jack Seely. I say this to draw the distinction between Warrior: The Amazing Story of a Real War Horse and the fictional book War Horse, which is now also a Spielberg film.

The story starts with a chapter about Cinderella, Warrior's mother, who was also owned by Seely.

This is a very personal record, written by a man who obviously loved horses, and particularly Warrior. It was written whilst Warrior was still alive, and includes comments from many who were associated with this remarkable beast. He was a truly amazing horse, with an almost unbelievable personality.

How he survived the whole four and a half of years of World War One, when an estimated million horses were killed in that war, is incredible. He had shells and bulidings and earth drop on him. A horse that he was nose to nose with was shot, and he hardly flinched. He led a charge near Amiens, which could have been regarded as a turning point in the war.

Despite the descriptions of major events leading up to WW1, through the war, and beyond into the forties, I found this much more interesting than very exciting. It was akin to enhancements to a personal journal of the aritocratic British leader that General Seely was. It seemed to be written for himself and his family.

One of the most interesting points that General Seely made was that he thought that there would neve come a time when horses were "the most important element of modern warfare," and that the planners should always make sure of an adequatesupply of horses in time of war."

What would he have to say in this world of drones and guided missiles?

This is a fascinating book, and I recommend it.