LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
An Aztec in Spain - Lynda Aylett-Green I really enjoyed this book. It genuinely made me laugh out loud. Some of the impudent antics of the Aztec princess, who would be Empress if it were not for the invading Conquistadores, are just hilarious. She demands to be treated by the Spanish royalty and aristocracy, with the deference due to foreign royalty. In the main, she gets away with it.

She cannot understand the craziness and anomalies of Roman Catholicism, and shows total disregard for the dangers presented by the Inquisition.

Befriending the Empress Isabel, wife of Emperor Charles V, is a bold step. They have a lot of sympathy for each other, and the European Empress actually envies the Mexican.

The poverty of medieval Spain is well represented, and contrasts with the riches and greater, more advanced civilisation of the Aztecs.

This is a delightful little book. If it weren't for the way that it concludes like a door slamming in a breeze, I would have awarded it five stars.