LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
Fear the Worst - Linwood Barclay A decent thriller based on an aging theme

Quite a few mystery thrillers have been written based on the disappearance of a person, seemingly without trace, only to have those amongst whom they were thought to live and work deny their very existence. The first of these, to my knowledge, was So Long at the Fair by Anthony Thorne, first published in 1947. That one was about a man who disappeared in Paris just before the Paris Exhibition in 1879. Her sister tries to track him down. It later became a film (1950), which starred Jean Simmons and Dirk Borgarde.

Fear the Worst is about a girl called Sydney who disappears from her work-place, a local motel. Her father, Tim, tries to find her, but is hampered by police who believe that he has either abducted or killed her, and by some very violent people.

It is fast-paced and action-packed from beginning to end. As such, it is a good read. However, I was frustrated by Tim’s stupidity and naivety. Without those qualities, the story would have fizzled out early on, so I am sure that this was a deliberate ploy by the author. Nobody, outside a work of fiction could be such an idiot.

A couple of characters got killed, when I would have preferred them to have survived, and the ending was a little disappointing.

On the whole, this book was worth reading, and I would recommend it to my friends as one of those to pick up when you don’t have something that is burning a hole in your to-read shelf.