LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
Fool - Christopher Moore Yet another outrageously hilarious tome from the keyboard of Christopher Moore!

I know for a fact that not all of my friends and family will like Fool, but many will love it as much as I did, and many will be rolling around laughing, in fits of laughter, as I was.

The jester of the court of King Lear, known as Pocket, proceeds to orchestrate the history of England, Great Britain and most of Western Europe. There is very little authenticity, quite deliberately, and absolutely no respect for either royalty or aristocracy.

I particularly liked the pseudo glossary, which you really must refer to as you hit the reference marks on your journey through the book. Examples include:

Tosser - one who tosses, a wanker.

The dog's bollocks! - Excellent! The bee's knees! The cat's pj's. Literally, the dog's balls, which doesn't seem to be a great thing, yet, there you are.
Now, this truly is authentic English usage!

Balls up - Slang, to ruin, to fuck up, also "bollocks up" and "cock up."
I was actually surprised that Moore didn't use this opportunity to transfer the legendary cock up of King Alfred's burning of the cakes to King Lear!

The author's notes at the end should not be over-skipped. They are well wort reading. Christopher Moore must be delighted that the London 2012 Olympics were centred on Stratford. The only pity is that the IOC omitted the one sport that Moore recommended. You'll see what I mean!

My final thought on Fool is that I couldn't help noticing a similarity between the opening lines of this book and those of [b:Puckoon|887348|Puckoon|Spike Milligan|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1351180689s/887348.jpg|872599]. Here we have "Tosser!" said the Raven, there we have "Caw" said the crow. Both books made me laugh in equal measure.

PS. If historical inaccuracies irritate you, you'll be scratching like you've got fleas!