LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
Sovereign (Matthew Shardlake #3) - C.J. Sansom Action packed and dramatic

This is the third in the series of Matthew Shardlake adventures and, in my opinion, the best so far. As usual, the lawyer embarks on a dual, dangerous mission, and can trust nobody save, perhaps, his faithful assistant, Barak.

At every turn there is murder, mystery and suspense. Shardlake appears to have many more lives that the nine that are generally accredited to a cat. It is amazing that he survives each day.

Most of this story is set in York, and revolves around the disputed right, at least in the north of England, of Henry VIII to occupy the throne. Who are the conspirators and who are the loyalists? Tension is high, and personal safety is fragile. In those times, upsetting the wrong person, even if one were allied to that person, could lead to torture and loss of life.

You can read the background to the story on the cover or in other reviews, so I won’t bother to go into that. What I want to get across is, that although this book is long, it is action packed, and full of twists and turns, right up to the final page. There are some passages which will turn the strongest of stomachs. All in all, it is a great read.