LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
Solomon Time - Will Randall A modern version of Lillian Beckwith

As a young boy, I used to delight in the books of Lillian Beckwith. She described her adventures, as she left her life as a teacher in England, to be plunged into a totally new culture as a crofter in the Western Isles of Scotland. I can remember laughing out loud as I read about the antics of some of the characters.

In Solomon Time, Will Randall describes how he leaves his life as a teacher in England, to become immersed in the very different culture of the Solomon Islands in the South Pacific. Lillian made the change on doctor’s orders. Will made the change due to the strange will and testament of a character who is universally referred to as The Commander.

His task is to set up a viable business to sustain and improve the life of the villagers amongst whom he lives.

This is an enjoyable adventure. There are short passages, describing mixes of wildlife which appear to view simultaneously, which I simply do not believe. But I put this down to the author’s artistic license. There are plenty of laughs, and one can’t help but like many of the characters. You can’t read this book without coming to envy Will’s circumstances.

Whilst it didn’t set my world on fire, I would still thoroughly recommend it to all my friends.