LanceGreenfieldMitchell

Par Lance

Par Lance is where I come to talk with my friends, mainly to discuss books.

Par can mean at face value,and Lance is just me.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Parlance /'pa:l(Ə)ns/

Arthur Benjamin
Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Rod Stephens
The Stonor Eagles
WILLIAM HORWOOD
Skallagrigg - William Horwood Easily makes my top five

I have always been a prolific reader and sometimes have as many as five books on the go at any one time, picking up the one which most suits my mood.

This book is absolutely brilliant and so beautifully touches the emotions of the reader. It made me laugh and it made me cry. I cried often and long and deep.

It is clear that William Horwood has been close to cerebal palsy and his daughter, Rachel, does suffer from this condition.
The central figures are Arthur, a sufferer from the early part of the twentieth century, and Esther, a sufferer from the latter part of the same century. It explores the massive differences between the ways that they were perceived and the ways that they were treated because of those perceptions.

Esther embarks on a quest to find Skallagrigg, without knowing what it is, and you must read the book to find out if she succeeds and what it means.

The reader is drawn into the characters and I found myself living the rollercoaster emotional existance of both of them.

I am constantly recommending this book to friends and family. Many of them find it difficult to get into the story but I encourage them to persevere. Whilst I can understand their difficulty, I had no trouble whatsoever and was captured from the first paragraph.

If you are only ever going to read one more book in your life, it would have to be this one and no other. Trust me!